Mini Strawberry Cupcakes
Our little buddy Finn came round to play today. (I know Finn is only friends with us because he thinks there’s always cake at our house, but hey, he’s a cutie, and we like his mum and dad. So if cake is what it takes to buy him, then I’ll keep it coming!)
Finn also has twin siblings, who happen to have been born on the same day as our twins. So he and Jasper ‘get’ each other.
I’d promised him that we’d make some cakes next time he came over, so on this rainy bank holiday afternoon with the 4 little ones playing in the other room, and a bottle of bubbly chilling for the adults, Jasper and Finn got down to some serious baking!
The best thing about this recipe, is that if you weigh all the ingredients out in advance, it only takes a few minutes for the kids to do the adding and mixing, and then the cakes bake in 5 minutes because they’re so small. They take very little time to cool, so the whole recipe can be ready to eat within 30 minutes (which is good, because waiting patiently for results is not something most small children are good at!)
Finn’s Chocolate-Dipped Strawberry Cupcakes Recipe
You need a mini cupcake tine for this, and 24 mini paper cupcake cases. Alternatively make these in fairy cake cases/tins and you’ll get 12.
Makes: 24 mini cupcakes
Takes: 30 minutes, max
Storage: Best eaten on the day you make them, or they’ll keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
100 grams butter and room temperature
100 grams caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 medium eggs
80 grams self raising flour
20 grams cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking powder
24 small strawberries
100 grams dark chocolate
100 grams clotted cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C, and line a 24-hole mini cupcake tray with paper cases.
- Use a spoon to cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla until it is smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs and beat them well with the butter mix.
- Add the cocoa, flour and baking powder and stir gently just until the mixture is well-combined and smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the 24 paper cases.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until the cakes are risen and just set.
- While the cakes bake, melt the chocolate in the microwave or over a bain-marie.
- Dip each strawberry into the chocolate and then leave them to set on a sheet of baking paper in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Leave them to cool on a wire rack.
- When the cakes are completely cool, top them with a spoonful of clotted cream and a chocolate-dipped strawberry.
Option: Alternatively, don't bother with dipping the strawberries, just melt the cream and chocolate together to make a chocolate ganache, and spread that on the cupcakes and top with a strawberry (that's Finn's preferred option!)