Proper Choc Chip Cookies
These are just what you want from a proper cookie: Rich, chewy, crispy-on-the-outside and meltingly-squidgy-in-the-middle.
The secret is in the timing according to my American friend Sarah, who has been known to thrown whole trays of cookies in the bin if they’ve had 30 seconds too long in the oven! (She takes chocolate chip cookie baking very seriously, so I trust her advice on such matters!)
This is my adaption of her recipe, which I believe was adapted from the back of a tollhouse chocolate chips packet a long time ago…….!
Wherever it came from, it works! But do watch the oven times. In my oven, 8 minutes is just about perfect. If in doubt, err on the side of under-baked (though personally I don’t feel that a little extra-crispness warrants the bin!)
Proper American Style Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes: Approx. 30 cookies
Takes: 30 minutes max.
Storage: The cookies taste best fresh from the oven, but are fine for a few days. Cookie dough can be kept in fridge for 3 days or frozen for 1 month. I like to freeze small balls of the cookie dough so that it can be baked straight from the freezer (just add 2 mins to the cooking time)
110g butter at room temperature
100 grams white caster sugar
100 grams soft dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
185 grams self-raising flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
100 grams mixed good quality chocolate chips/chopped chocolate
- Preheat a fan assisted oven to 180 degrees C and line a couple of baking trays with non stick baking paper.
- Use a wooden spoon, or ideally an electric hand mixer, to beat the butter, both types of sugar and vanilla for a couple of minutes until it is smooth and lighter in colour.
- Add the egg and beat well until the mixture looks fluffy and pale.
- Add flour, bicarbonate soda, and salt to the mixture all at once and beat just until it is combined – don’t overbeat it - it should be well combined but not look ‘frothy’.
- Finally stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonful onto the baking sheet, leaving plenty of room for the cookies to spread (most baking trays can only fit 6-8 cookies)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until just the edges are golden brown. Take the cookies out of the oven when they’ve puffed up but the centres still look soft. Cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes then remove to a cooling rack.