Sweet Chilli Jam
Sweet chilli Jam
This is a great one for gifting. The recipe makes approx. 6 small jars.
In sterilised jars it'll keep for a year. In the fridge once opened it'll last a month (if you don't eat it first!)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 heaped teaspoons (20g) fine sea salt
250g red chillies (approx. 10)
320 g red onion (2 large)
400g tin of top quality chopped tomatoes (I like ‘Mutti’ polpo)
4 crushed garlic cloves (or 2 heaped tablespoons garlic granules)
190ml red wine vinegar
520g soft light brown sugar
- First prepare your jars by washing and rinsing them. Put the glass jars on a baking tray in a low oven (100 degrees c) and put the lids in a saucepan of boiling water. The lids need to be boiled for 10 minutes before sealing the jars, and the glass jars need at least 20 minutes in the oven to sterilise them.
- Prepare the onions and chilli by chopping them finely (cut off the stalks but leave the seeds in the chillies). You can just blitz everything in a food processor to speed this up!
- Fry the onions, chilli and salt in the oil over a low heat for at least 5 minutes and up to 10 minutes, until they are very soft but not coloured.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, vinegar and sugar, and simmer for 30-40 minutes without a lid until the mixture is thick and jammy. You need to stir it at regular intervals as it cooks to stop it catching on the bottom of the pan.
- Carefully ladle it into hot jars and seal with hot lids.